Monday, October 17, 2011

Monday Monday

October 17th -- Needless to say, today is Monday.  Haha.  I am feeling particularly punchy tonight because I corrected the verb grammar quizzes in four of my classes and the top average was in the junior class with a 65%.  Two freshmen classes followed at 62% and the other freshman class was even lower.  But it's a starting point of sorts -- the first real assessment of how they are doing with identifying verbs in a sentence. And why, I ask myself, is this important?  Well, I answer (because I am clearly talking to myself here) this is how one becomes a better writer.  For example if one writes a sentence with more than one verb, it's important to keep them in the same tense.  If I don't know which one of them are verbs, how do I do that?

Heavy stuff for a MOnday.  But I came up with a brilliant way to teach them how to id a verb in a sentence.  Without getting into gerunds etc.  ughhhh.  Now I have to teach this method.  Let's see how that goes.  Fortunately though...I have a few days to prepare.  Grammar day is Friday -- woo hoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment