Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Brian and Luke Compete in a Triathlon

June 28 --   Brian and Luke (and Luke's friend Andrew) ran a triathlon tonight.  It started with the swim.  I have to admit that as I watched them swim the course, I was overwhelmed with exhaustion.  Then came the light jog to the transition area where they put on their sneakers and jumped on the bikes.  totally overwhelming but I pushed forward.  I made it to the transition area in time to cheer them on as they came back with their bikes and took off for the last leg -- the 5K run.  The band on Luke's shorts was turned inside out.  As he ran up the hill to set off on the run, I yelled to him to fix his shorts.  He grinned at me and as he ran by, he rested a tell-tale finger on the back of his shorts.    A message to his mom.  Whatever.  It's tough work cheering these racers on.  I can handle the salty finger gestures.   By the time the event was over I was totally fatigued and headed back to the waterfront for a cold, refreshing beer.   What else could I do?  Now that I have gone through the experience, I think I totally need to do some training before the next one...cheering on the participants is a tough role for sure but I guess I am fairly adept at it.  It's a blessing, I know :)

No comments:

Post a Comment